Sunday, October 12, 2008

Depression Cooking with Clara

I came across Clara's cooking videos and wanted to share them with you all. I suppose in one sense they are appropriate to what's going on in our economy. But also listening to some of her stories about what it was like for her and her family during the depression really causes one to pause for a moment and be reminded of just how blessed we are. Sure times may be a bit lean and they may even get leaner, but we'll survive especially if you learn how to cook like Clara had to back during the depression. Here is one of her videos on how to make the Poor Man's Meal and a link to several of her videos.



http://www.youtube.com/user/DepressionCooking

3 Comments:

The Gathering Room said...

this was great! My mom died at 99 yrs and watching this reminded me of her nd stories she shared with us about the depression. I remember growing up eating potatoes a lot also! One thing that stood out in my memories is mom talking about a neighbor lady that came into her celar and took jams and canned berries ...she said she knew the lady was stealing from her, but never said a word as thta lady was feeding 8 kids and husband out of work...(though she wish too she would have asked.) This lady's story paralells what mom said..times were very hard and people stole food to eat.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed watching this! Thank you!

Loudlife said...

This is wonderful! I loved it so much I put it on my blog - but I put your link on the post, too. I hope you don't mind but I couldn't resist. Thank you so much for sharing it.

Laurie